Friday, September 20, 2013

dog | A Vet In Training

The past month has been so hectic. The second year is MUCH more work than first year that’s for sure! I unfortunately had a computer virus and had so reinstall my computer 2 weeks ago and fell a bit behind on my work because of that. This term they are packing 3 major systems into for term- Respiration, Cardio and Digestion for both Physiology and Anatomy- It’s a lot of information, so by the time I get home from University my brain is on overload. Biomolec and husbandry is quite boring, and we don’t have that many lectures in them because of the amount from the other two subjects. Biomolec has started a new learning program this year called Aropa. This is an anonymous program where the professors give us a question to answer, we then have a certain time to write the answer for the question and upload it onto Aropa website. Once you get to the deadline, the program anonymously sends each student 3 other students’ answers. Then you mark the 3 student answers in a specific time frame and you get feedback from 3 other students and see their comments on your answer. Peerwise is another program that is benefitting the whole class. This isn’t marked, but meant to help for revising. The class write multiple choice questions and post them with the answer onto the website. Then the entire class can go and do you multiple choice question and see if they get it right. If the class posts enough questions, some of the questions we have made will be on our exams, so it’s for our own benefit.


I got my first ever Littmann stethoscope. It is Caribbean blue and has my name engraved on the back of it “Annette Vindenes”.





This was my first patient I was one of the last people of the day to listen to him, so he was getting very bored. I started listening to the heart beat when I suddenly heard a howling I looked up to discovered that the dog had enough, so he had started howling. He got to go for a walk after me=)



The 3rd year class representative had a class party where the whole vet school dressed up as cops & Robbers. It was a lot of fun traveling the underground around Glasgow city center with everyone dressed up as cops or robbers, we got a lot of weird looks. Me myself was dressed up as a FBI agent, in high heals so I don’t think I could have caught a robber if I tried to, hehe.


There has been some really nice events with the Vet Women Football team this year. I think we have an amazing team this year, everyone is so motivated to beat the Edinburgh vets on the 17. November. We have been putting in extra fitness training on monday’s, in addition to our normal training on Wednesday’s. I have also been practicing with the main uni football team and had keeper practice with the defenders on saturday mornings. So hopefully I wont let any goals in on “Dick day”- yes it’s called this because the Edinburgh vets are called Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary studies. We had a fancy event in Arta night club:


We also had an American Pep Ralley in the Hut of the vet school. All the sport that are playing on dick day were there cheering on their sports:






Me and our captain Colleen



Me and my Norwegian friend Christin decided to go to a concert to see the Swedish artist Robyn when she came to Glasgow.
It was a really good concert and I swear the whole Scandinavian society of Edinburgh and Glasgow was there, because everyone around me was talking Norwegian or Swedish. Robyn had a an amazing concert and she also had two swedish female DJ’s warming up (Rebecca & Fiona). They were really good and set the mood for the rest of the night . Amazing concert!
Halloween is a big event in the UK. The vet school had their own party as normal. This year they rented Highligh- which is a comedy club in Glasgow city centre.
I Think we were about 300 vets celebrating Halloween and I’m amazed every year how creative people of our school can be with their costumes. I was dressed as a Possessed Cheerleader. I had contact lenses that made my blue eyes black. I had never worn contacts before and I used an hour and 20 minutes to get them in, but it was wort it cos it really made me a lot scarier.  I now have a new respect for people wearing contacts every day=) I’ve Included some pictures, hope your well. Miss you


Annette



Read Full Post »

No comments:

Post a Comment