Saturday, September 28, 2013

The case of the mysterious dog statues

While getting acquainted with my new stomping grounds: the Civic Hospital/Experimental Farm neighbourhood, I stumbled across something puzzling.


A few weeks ago, I stepped off the O-Train, made my way north on Carling Ave. and sauntered through one of the Civic Hospital’s beautiful residential neighbourhoods.


It wasn’t long before I found myself in Fairmont Park, a community meeting place where young and old get together to watch their kids run around the playground, exercise, read or play tennis.




A one eared German Shepherd statue in Fairmont Park



But I soon found out – they’re not alone.


Scattered all throughout the park are dogs.


Not of the tail wagging, stick chasing, slobbery kiss giving variety, these dogs are statues made of stone.


Positioned in random locations throughout the park, the sculpted dogs all appear to be different breeds and all are doing different ‘dog-like’ things.


A Cockerspaniel and her pup can be found cuddling under a set of evergreen trees just west of the tennis courts, while a German Shepherd sits attentively, like a guard dog, along the park’s path.




A cockerspaniel and her pup cuddle under an evergreen tree in Fairmont Park



Intrigued into why these statues were placed in Fairmont Park and what they meant, I called around to find out more. But, nobody I’ve talked to seems to know.


So the Fairmont dog statues continue to remain a mystery in my mind. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment